Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tvb's Four Fadans

I know that there were seven FaDans back then but I did some research and it turns out that within the seven, there were four powerful and more successful actresses. They were Flora Chan, Kenix Kwok, Ada Choi and Jessica Hsuan. I'm a fan of all four, in fact all seven actresses, especially these four, and this was maybe because they acted in more shows and didn't leave tvb that early. It also helped that they acted alongside Gallen Lo at that period of time because he was the big brother at that time and for some odd reason, I watched many of his shows. If I'm not wrong, I watched him first in 1997, when I was two but apparently, he is one of those actors I will never fail to forget and slowly, I had become a fan. I still remember the days when I would switch on the tv and see the advertisement for some show and he walk in and talk. At that time, I couldn't read but I remembered the logo and font of the title. It was At The Threshold Of An Era. Anyway, back to the topic, if you look at things now, there are currently four FaDans in control now and they are Charmaine Sheh, Sonija Kwok, Yoyo Mung and the recently retired Gigi Lai. So now, as I look at things, I realise that there are also four actresses that tvb is trying to sell now. If you look at things, it seems like Charmaine's reign will end. This is bad because I grew up watching these four and the previous four too but its like a curse. Once you hit 35 and above or even below, you leave for mainland to earn more money. Isn't that the trend?


Right, firstly no offense to anyone but people are probably going to throw tomatoes at me for not choosing actresses like Bernice Liu or Shirley Yeung but its obvious that in every generation, there are only four girls who truly matter. I cannot pinpoint who can be the successors of who but all I can say is that it is this four. But before that, let me just introduce exactly who were the four FaDans of the first group and what shows I watched that got me hooked.


The First Batch

Flora Chan: She was this pretty, sophiticated actresses that I thought looked like a European. It wasn't until many years later than did I realise she was raised there. Accurately, the first show I saw her on was on Healing Hands. But maybe I was too young for I couldn't remember anyone but Bowie Lam and Lawrence Ng. She really caught my eye in At The Threshold Of An Era. It was one of those faces I would never forget because maybe it was a conincidence but I happened to watch many of her shows. Following that was A Taste Of Love and she became a favourite immediately after Family Man but when Truimph In The Skies debuted, she was at the top of my list because I loved that show. Sad to say that after on of her best performances in To Get Unstuck In Time, she left and I have yet to hear from her since but rumour has it that she'll return with Bobby Auyeung and Selena Li.
Kenix Kwok: She is a beauty in whatever era and she never ages. I mean, the first time I saw her was in the show was At The Threshold Of An Era and I believed that she was already a beautiful women. My mum really liked her alot. Anyway, I loved the chemistry between Gallen and her so I went on to watch Take My Word For It, or at least my mum chose to so I followed and she was great as the cool officer. She and Bobby had killer chemistry and their story was really sad though but she still really caught my eye. Just to let you know, I had a pretty big stop in 2004 to 2006 but I still continued to watch, just not that much I remember that I loved her role in Seed Of Hope and it made me cry so badly I never forgot her after that. Following that was the grand production, Revolving Doors Of Vengeance and let me tell you, she was gorgeous but I heard that she gained great popularity for Shine On Me and Love Bond which I didn't watch and yet I want to. I caught bits and part of A Pillowcase Of Mystery but it was Ten Brothers that got me addicted to her and sadly, that was her last show. But, now, she is back for Born Rich which just wrapped up filming.

Jessica Hsuan: The first show I watched with her was Old Time Buddy and I thought she had great comedic skills but sadly, her face didn't last long in my head. Following that, I watched A Step Into The Past and yes, she was pretty but I preferred Sonija so I failed to concentrate on her though I could roughly recall her face. It wasn't until Golden Faith did I become a fan. I loved her chemistry with Gallen and it was a great show so she stuck in my head. Following that was Square Pegs and I would never fail to remeber her participation in the show mainly because I could never forget Roger Kwok and they had chemistry. I went on to A Handful Of Love but failed to love it that much though it was a good show and yet, if not for her, I would never have seen Selena on screen. Jessica continued to stun me with her solid performances in Life Made Simple and I loved her character in Dicey Business as the addicted gambler but she really left me shocked with her sweet and mild character in The Drive Of Life and her hairstyle was so much prettier in the second half with short hair. She never really left tvb and is now filming Pearl On Palm.

Ada Choi: I first watched her in Healing Hands but the impression was not strong and even in part 2, I was concentrating on Yoyo Mung. I payed attention to her in At The Threshold Of An Era because she really could act and had stellar chemistry with Louis Koo. When did I fall in love with her? It was when I watched Where The Legend Begins. She was the most beautiful women I had ever seen and it helped that Sonija was in it because she was pretty too. She had great chemistry with Steven Ma and I kept rewatching it so I could never forget her face. Aterwards, I watched Fate Twisters but in honest fact, Gigi caught my eye better though I must admit she and Lawrence made a great couple. She then proved that not only could she be serious, she could also be funny with her role in To Catch The Uncatchable. I still love Dayo Wong! Afterwards, I watched Dance Of Passion and still I preferred Gigi but she really made an impact with the show and last year when I rewatched The Gem Of Life, I loved her and though she isn't as pretty as Gigi but her acting was brilliant. She has also finished filming Superwoman!



They were the first four FaDans
To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment